Protein is one of the most essential nutrients required by our body. For non-vegetarians meeting the daily protein requirement is a cakewalk, but for vegetarians, it is a tough task. Vegetarians are protein-deficient as they struggle with finding food items that are protein-rich. Most people know about protein-dense food items like paneer, tofu, lentils, beans etc, very few people are aware of Tempeh. Here is how Tempeh will benefit your body and how to use it in recipes.
Tempeh is basically made using soybean, which is packed with protein. It is a type of fermented soybean-based food product, whose roots of origin can be found in Indonesia. In a nutshell, soybeans are first cooked and then fermented with a specific type of mold called Rhizopus Oligosporus, which binds the soybeans together to form a cake-like slab that can be further sliced, diced or crumbled.
Vegetarians can easily accommodate Tempeh in their daily diet, as it offers 19 grams of protein, per 100 grams of Tempeh. Apart from protein, Tempeh is also a good source of dietary fiber that promotes digestive health. It also contains some essential minerals required by our body like iron, calcium, phosphorus and potassium. It is low in carbs and calories, which makes it the perfect pick. 100 grams of Tempeh contains just 193 calories. As far as the flavour is concerned, Tempeh has a very earthy and nutty flavour. It has a tofu-like chewy texture as well.
3.Cooking with Tempeh:-
Tempeh is a very versatile ingredient and will easily fit into your diet and lifestyle. It can be used to make stir-fries, salads, sandwiches, soups, stews, curries, pasta and can even be used as a meat substitute in spaghetti and tacos. Here is an easy yet delicious Tempeh recipe that you must try.
4.Chilli Tempeh recipe:-
- 200 grams Tempeh,
- 1 onion,
- 1 capsicum,
- 4 garlic cloves,
- 1 inch ginger,
- 1 green chilli,
- 1 tbsp dark soya sauce,
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce,
- 2 tbsp ketchup,
- 1 tbsp green chilli sauce,
- 1 tbsp cornstarch,
- 2 tbsp spring onions,
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste,
- ¼ tbsp red chilli powder,
- 1 tbsp lemon juice and
- salt as per taste.
- In a bowl, add chopped Tempeh cubes
- .Add ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, lemon juice and salt.
- Mix and let the pieces marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat 3-4 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Add the marinated Tempeh and shallow fry until crispy from all sides.
- Now heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok.
- Add minced garlic and ginger along with sliced green chilli.
- Saute for a few seconds.
- Add cubed onions and capsicum.
- Toss on high heat for a minute.
- In a bowl, mix dark soya sauce, light soya sauce, ketchup and green chilli sauce.
- Add ¾ cup of water and mix to make a sauce mixture.
- Add this sauce mixture to the wok along with 1 tbsp cornstarch diluted in 4 tablespoons of water.
- Mix well and add salt as per taste.
- Now add the fried Tempeh cubes to the wok and give a mix.
- Cook for a few minutes, till the sauce thickens.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve hot.
Phalana Abbayi Phalana Ammayi Movie Review